By: Shetina Barnes, M,Ed/School Social Worker
Tips to Mentally and Emotionally Prepare for Back to School
The start of a new school year can be stressful and overwhelming for students. Helping kids to become mentally and emotionally ready for back to school can begin at home with a few simple steps.
- Get back into a regulated sleep schedule. Gradually set back bed time to ensure a good night’s rest.
- Get organized. Prepare clothes, lunches and backpacks the night before.
- Check the school’s website for important updates regarding dress codes, procedures and supplies. Complete and return all required school forms.
- Ensure students are up to date with immunizations and in school medications such as asthma inhalers.
- Remind and encourage students to apply self regulation techniques such as deep breathing exercises, to ease anxiety.
- Develop an action plan with your student outlining how to conquer difficult situations by utilizing supports.
Lastly, allow your student to vent about their excitement, fears and concerns. The support and validation that a student receives from a caring adult is essential to ease your student’s concerns.
Here’s to a Wonderful School Year!!